“Hang all the mistletoe, I’m gonna get to know you better…”
Nothing starts my Christmas like Donny Hathaway’s velvet-voiced “This Christmas.” A beloved song since my childhood, it reminds me of tossing and turning with anticipation in my bed until I could finally run to the tree at 6 in morning to see what my parents Santa brought me. Seeing that new Cabbage Patch doll or Fisher-Price tape recorder brought me endless amounts of joy that day, as well as the joy of being with family.
Anyone who’s seen their mother jam out and get “happy” while listening to The Temptations while wrapping gifts hasn’t lived. Ahh, memories.
Now, as an adult, Christmas songs take on a whole new meaning for me. The fact that my father passed only six days before the holiday a couple years ago, I can’t say there aren’t some that don’t make me cry, wishing he were here. Mariah’s “Most You Most (At Christmas Time)” gets me every time.
“Every other season comes along, and I’m all right. But then I miss you most at Christmas time.”
But I’m choosing to focus on the magic that is a well-sung carol. Holiday songs bring love and a certain hopefulness with them, that it’s hard not to get into the spirit. Some of my favorites:
- This Christmas – Donny Hathaway
- All I Want for Christmas is You– Mariah Carey (Kill Justin Bieber for his remake.)
- Silent Night – The Temptations
- Let it Snow– Boyz II Men
- Angels We Have Heard on High– Christina Aguilera
- Every Year, Every Christmas– Luther Vandross
- Santa Claus is Coming to Town – The Jackson Five
- What Do the Lonely Do at Christmas – The Emotions (for you 🙂 )
- Christmas just Ain’t Christmas – The O’Jays
- Joy to the World– Mariah Carey
- Santa Baby– Eartha Kitt
- Honorable Mention: 8 Days of Christmas – Destiny’s Child
When I play these songs, and dreams of family, love, laughter, food, and gifts dance in my head. I feel this Christmas will be no different.
Enjoy these Xmas gems.